Saturday, September 24, 2011

another blog~


I write a blog about living with type 1 diabetes over at The Misadventures of Peabody. But that blog, as much as I cherish talking about living with a chronic disease, is limiting. Or maybe I will find that I can eventually create a website to combine both. We are all integrated beings, whether we like it or not. Compartmentalization feels so good sometimes when we can't do it in "real" life, right?

So I wanted to start this blog in order to have a bit more freedom, more maneuverability with my words, my topics, my thoughts. Some major things have changed in my life (one just yesterday---I kid you not when I say life changing) and so it was in that moment I knew my idea of having a separate blog became absolutely necessary. Well, that and the fact that I couldn't create a label under my other blog entitled "adoption" (talk about a tease).

Why "ViewFinder"? In the simplest terms, I loved my View-Master as a kid. I'd always put in the image cards of bugs or places to travel. Even then, I was such a nerd! It's also a way of talking about that compartmentalization issue I mentioned above; a way of moving on to the next thing. You can pop out the image cards, put another in, and voila! you enter a whole other world for a while. A tinier world, connoting big things. But you can move on or change out the Big Things you don't like seeing in your View-Master.
But life isn't like that, is it?
Life is just so damn bigbigbig at times, we feel like we barely have time to take a breath, let alone change anything we happen upon. But I never want to be like this, I work so hard in my life to live as much in the moment as I can. Having a chronic disease teaches you this. Having my first child taught me this. Connecting with people in a real way does this.
With this blog, I hope to capture some of those moments in my viewfinder; jot them down so I and anyone else who comes upon my writing, won't forget.

2 comments: